RE: (no subject)

  • Subject: RE: [cg] (no subject)
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:49:01 -0500

Iris,

For starters, you should make yourself a pot of tea tonight and start reading through the American Community Gardening Association website and its links - http://www.communitygarden.org . There are wonderful phrases, like "building community from the ground up," which, if your examiners are not community gardeners, will sound awfully novel. And...if they are community gardener folks, and  members of our organization, they should cut you some slack - even give you extra points. You don't know how dreary yet another discussion on how to avoid black spot or the myriad diseases that can affect dahlias can be.

From your message, we can't tell what part of the world you're e-mailing us from our links page, you can contact community gardens near you. We're pretty nice folks, most of the time.

Honestly, if you had garden projects going in the housing developments near you, then pictures of the gardeners, the stuff you did and learned would easily fill your ten minutes. However, if you haven't and are planning to do organize people in your projects to do gardening, it would be best to read the sections on the website about how to start a communtiy garden, organize volunteers, etc.

And the usual advice about giving talks to anyone (visualize them in their long johnss, keep it simple and give yourself a couple of run throughs with an egg timer.)

You'll be fine - and, if you join the American Community Gardening Association before you give your presentation, you'll have a wealth of great karma with you:  http://www.communitygarden.org/about/membership.html

Great luck!

Adam Honigman, Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden