Re: Compost bins

Hi Tori,
At our garden we constructed very simple bins, and we were able to make then
out of reclaimed materials. We marked out a square on the ground 3ftx3ft and
another square joining it the same size so that they share a common side. At
the six corners we hammered in long star pickets. Fencing wire was used from
the tops of the star pickets to mark two bays, leaving both fronts open.
Chicken wire (half-inch) then made the walls of the three sides, tied on
with a fencing tool and small lengths of wire (pliers work just as well just
takes more twisting). Instead of a lid, as the bins are near a wall which
protects them from the weather, we have the piles covered in old doormats,
our standby option for a lid is an old piece of corrogated iron which fits
over the top of both and can be tipped over and behind the back of the bins
into the gap before the wall for easy and hinge free use. When one is full
we turn it into the next bay then start filling the first. It may not be the
best method but it is working for us so far.
Goodluck with yours,
Tamsin