Re: Compost bins

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Compost bins
  • From: Steve Smoot steveshome@juno.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:16:28 -0600

Hi Everyone,
It would be a good idea for builders of compost bins to take climate into account. Here in the arid interior of the western US, I use a semi subterranean technique. Getting the bottom of the pile a foot or so below grade and regularly watering the compost keeps the pile moist. The ground drains quickly or, I suppose, I would be in danger of making sauerkraut.
Often, I use no real bin at all - just the pit and mounded soil around the outside. Boards work also and are useful but even cedar will decay after a few years.
I have a neighbor who suspended a wire bin a few feet above ground on the back wall of his old shed. The material he used to filled the bin has been  mummified there for years now. Along with the "old as dirt" gardener across the fence, this compost will soon need to be considered a part of the region's archeological record.
Steve Smoot
Spokane Farmers' Market
Message: 1