Philly Study

  • Subject: [cg] Philly Study
  • From: "Jodi Rhoden" rhoden@main.nc.us
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:58:38 -0500

Wanted to thank and echo Don and Adam for their comments regarding the study
about "burbettes" and property values.  I also want to say that the other
dimension of rising property values is DISPLACEMENT and that very
uncomfortable word GENTRIFICATION.  Because when properties in a poor
(blighted) neighborhood are owned by absentee landlords, as is most often
the case, they cash in on the rising property values and the residents
(tenants) get the boot.  That's one reason that some folks in my
neighborhood see graffitti as not just a fun pasttime but a measure of
housing security...
Now i'm not advocating "property destruction," and I'm not saying that
people shouldnt plant and paint, and work hard to make their neighborhoods
more beautiful, but we need to understand the implications.
What do i think is the solution?  I think affordable housing land trusts go
a long way.  I think tenants unions work.  I think communication is
fundamental.  I think direct action gets the goods.
Peace Yall,
Jodi Rhoden
The Bountiful Cities Project
Asheville, NC 28801