The mysteries of buying a park bench?

  • Subject: [cg] The mysteries of buying a park bench?
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:53:53 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Now that it's winter and not a time of religious holidays, I'm doing all the paperwork to get this labyrinth up and running by June 4th (the dedication date picked specifically since the 30+ roses will be in bloom and with all these new folks who know little to nothing about the community garden, I figured I'd pick a time when the garden is just stunning [and the weeds haven't had time to really do their thing!]).

So, awhile back, I asked about good places to buy a park bench and you folks gave me some great sites. I found several models I just love. HOWEVER, the thing that is making me very, very nervous is that almost NONE of the sites have prices! They all say "contact us" for pricing. How can I comparison shop between the different models if there aren't any listed prices?

So, any advice about approaching these companies? We're just a church-based community garden that doesn't have a lot of funds and needs only one park bench so that folks who have used our labyrinth can have a place to sit and process what the experience has given them (something that most labyrinth sites have told me is a necessity) -- based on past experience, I'm very nervous that hearing that it's only one bench, the companies will jack up the price beyond what we can afford, just to blow us off.

I have a two friends in the Phoenixville Recreation Department -- would they be taken more seriously by these companies that I would?

Any advice here appreciated!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of