Re: Monsanto takes Seminis Seeds: US outlaws seed saving by Iraq farmers

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Monsanto takes Seminis Seeds: US outlaws seed saving by Iraq farmers
  • From: Michael Yount csf@moscow.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:20:53 -0800

On 26 Jan 10:34, chelseaxmolli wrote:
> [...]

Article 15, paragraph B (on page 22 of the PDF file) states:

"Farmers shall be prohibited from re-using seeds of protected varieties
or any variety mentioned in items 1 and 2 of paragraph (C) of Article 14
of this Chapter."

GRAIN's full report, of which we saw an excerpt earlier, is available at
  <http://www.grain.org/articles/?id=6>

The report seems to imply that patented varieties are more readily
available in Iraq than locally adapted varieties.  Do the farmers have a
choice?

Michael