RE: Prison garden in Missouri

Emma,

Prison farms are an old story in the USA. The restorative justice spin is
window dressing for the use of unpaid prison agricultural labor in what has
come to be known as "The Prison Industrial Complex" . That the food banks
get fresh food is a splendid end. The means is appalling.  This end would be
better met by free, independant farmers paid a living wage by the
government.  That the unpaid agricultural labor of prison inmates is
construed by the program directors  as a great gift is similar to the
"Arbeit Macht Zu Frei" ( work makes you free) cast iron signs on the gates
to Nazi concentration and forced labor camps. Orwell lives.

 The largest and oldest self-sustaining organic prison farm is Louisana's
Angola Prison (which was designed on the ante-bellum slave plantation
model.)  Angola prison, whose inmates are predominantly African-American,
and whose sentences are often life imprisonment, can hardly be considered a
progressive institution. Forced agricultural labor in a chain gang is not
the model of renewable agriculture that we should foster.

Adam