Re: Prison garden in Missouri

It was my impression that in the past, prison gardens fed prisoners.  They
were indeed underpaid farm workers, essentially forced labor.  I have no idea
if any of them felt rewarded by the work, but no doubt there were troubling
similarities to the days of slavery.  And it was my impression that many
(most) prison gardens were outlawed for this reason.  And that the new
generation of prison gardens are voluntary, and that in reaction to problems
of the past, many prison gardens do not produce food for inmates but need to
give it away, which might seem odd (giving away fresh produce) but adds a
dimension of community service by growing to give away.

Judy Tiger
Washington DC