RE: Prison garden in Missouri

Comrades:

Not being a Southerner, I don't have  the soothing singing of chain gang
workers enroute to the fields as a part of my cherished childhood memories.
Nazi &  Soviet  slave labor camps are, however, a part of my family's
personal history... and not as management.

In upstate NY financially strapped farming and rustbelt type communities
jump all over themselves lobbying for the next prison. Don't you think that
our  farmers would rather farm rather than work a dangerous 8 hour shift as
a prison guard? Wouldn't it be better to feed our hungry using their labor
as independant farmers?

Running a food bank is a hard and thankless job, and if there's a ready free
source, ya gotta take advantage of it. If there are reports that the
convicts are happier doing this job and get more satisfaction from it than
banging out license plates or doing telemarketing, great. But prison labor
is prison labor.

At our local  NYC Dept of the Environment's Greenmarket (that I support as a
Community Board Member & booster) on 57th & 9th avenue there is an organic
veggie & plant stand run by ex-cons. Their stuff is primo, they're selling
more stuff weekly, but they're struggling to make it. Many of their
ex-farmer neighbors are now working as prison guards because they gave up
farming. Ironies pile up.

Best wishes,

Adam