RE: Re:Having died and gone to heaven...

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re:Having died and gone to heaven...
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:12:24 -0400

I'd tend to agree with you,  but I've been to Montreal, where community
gardening has become something normal, mundane even, like having a public
library in your neighborhood.

Mind you, I adore the heroic - puff your chest out feeling when you've taken
garbage strewn, abandoned car filled, rat, drug-dealer and prostitute ridden
spaces and turned them into urban oases. It's a great way to play
one-upmanship with yuppies who have their arms twisted to write a check to
help support a local school where they play squash for free. Beat sending
money to a Sally Strother's TV charity in spades. Plus it gets you out of
the house and you get to hang out with cute young people in cut offs....

But hey, if the government is willing to do a land grant thing and say to
the citizens, " Goest thou  and community garden!"   I'll take it any day of
the week and twice on shabbos.

Better than buying a few thousand redundant missiles or a pork (G-d forbid)
project for someone who has a sweetheart deal with a politico.

I have my fingers crossed for Jim - it would just serve me right for all
those mean things I've said about the lack of political progressiveness
below the Mason-Dixon line.

G-d speed Jim, let us know how it works out!