RE: Re:Having died and gone to heaven...

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re:Having died and gone to heaven...
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:26:26 -0500

Lisa and others,
This is a situation whereas our city's political powers cannot afford to
evict us from our current location (research park) without damaging their
future.  The success of our garden and its support level evidently is held
in high regard.  So you see, CASA is in a situation where we will probably
take this deal and run with it.  If we ignore this offer and next year the
garden property is purchased, we will be out on the street.  We were told
that 2 adjoining sides of our garden has recently been purchased.  And if
comes to pass that this happens, our organization will be "under great
criticism" for not being proactive.

Next week, the city officials, CASA's Exec. Dir. and myself are scheduled to
visit the actual proposed site. I will be asking for a draft proposal for
discussion purposes (per Adam's advice) at this time.

I know that a high fence built around the garden sounds like a prison, but
this is mandatory if this garden is to be built.  This new garden will be
built in an urban environment.  It is a fact that the average community
garden (vegetable) in the U.S. reaches 1/3 of its potential.  One third is
stolen or vandalized and one third is lost to pests and mismanagement of
harvesting and irrigation requirements. This has not been the case in the
current situation at the CASA Community Garden and I intend to keep it from
happening at the new location. The landscape will be designed to have trees
planted around its perimeter to offset this "prison like" effect.

As I understand it, this garden will be built at no cost to the CASA
organization.  They will build it and we will operate it.  I'm sure there
will be certain requirements that have to be met to satisfy the high level
of asethetics of the botanical garden adjoining it (they will not allow a
house trailer in their expensive subdivision). CASA will pay for the
expenses it takes to operate the garden.  All of our plants/seeds are
donated.  Our total water bill last year was less than $200.00 (irrigation
rates). Our garden produced over $27,000.00 worth of vegetables (per
Plant-A-Row guidelines) delivered at no charge to the elderly and homebound
of Madison County.

I am asking everyone reading this message to give me advice that will help
this garden "grow".  To keep this from being a long drawn out discussion on
the listserv, please e-mail me at jimcall@casagarden.com.  Please visit my
web site to review our current situation at www.casagarden.com. Anyone
wishing to keep posted (as Adam) on how this scenario transpires, please
email me and I will create a special e-mail list.  If everything goes as
planned, we will have a new community garden next spring.

As I tell my volunteers helping in the garden, "I don't care if you are 9 or
90 years old, if you can show me a better way to operate this garden, I will
use it. After all, it is your garden."  Thats why its called a "community"
garden.

I would like to thank Adam Honigman for all his advice.  I will continually
"pick his brain".  I admit, I am very naive in dealing with political types.
I just want to grow a garden.

                                                 Kindest regards to all,
Jim Call