RE: Queries: community garden history; Laura Lawson

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Queries: community garden history; Laura Lawson
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:18:56 -0400

Hi Felicia,

There are currently about three large community garden histories and two NYC
community garden documentaries aimed at PBS  (with a large NYC emphasis)and
a Miami anthropologist's study making the rounds of publishers/media
companies in NYC.

Last that I heard,  Malve von Hassel's  exhaustively researched book will be
coming out in 2002 with the imprint of a small academic press (Bergin &
Garvey,Greenwood Publishing Group).

Here is the website of the community garden that I'm involved with, the
Clinton Community Garden on West 48th Street in Manhattan.

 Volunteer gardener/Webmaster/garden activist Faser Hardin and I  ( with the
help of our very good friends out there in "cyber-community-gardenland")
have  put together a pretty comprehensive series of links to NYC, US and
International garden organization websites and organizations. The links on
the American Community Garden Association site are worth their weight in
gold. You may want to research the archives of the ACGA listserve at
http://community_garden@mallorn.com for garden "history" as it unfolded.
There are a number of leads aimed at Von Hassel in the archives in 2000 that
you may want to research.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman