Re: ACGA+NYC+Research! Logistics

  • Subject: Re: [cg] ACGA+NYC+Research! Logistics
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:04:58 EDT

Friends,

As an enthusiastic fan of community garden research and someone who has
handled manuscripts & documents professionally for a few years, I'd like to
make a few suggestions on making the collection process and return of
original material as smooth as possible.

Anna, were I you, I would have a catalogue of all the materials collected by
you for reference when you receive new materials. This way you could avoid
duplication and the need to log and take custody of new materials.

Suggested procedure:

1) A log be maintained at the desk where research materials are being
deposited containing:
a) Date

b) Donator's name, address, phone, fax & e-mail and requested date for return
of materials.

c) If material is already photcopied and doesn't need to be returned, note
it.

d) Title, with bibliographic information and physical description (
manuscript, clippings, floppy disk, photgraphs, etc.)

e) Are these materials (i.e.,  book, journalism, photographs, published or
unpublished disseratation)  copyrighted?  If lender is author, get a
permissions release for excerpting, reproduction or posting on the web.
Boilerplate releases are available at the University of Michigan library,
University of Michigan Press or law school.

f) If the copyrights are owned by others (publishers/authors) a boilerplate
request letter needs to be sent out to the the appropriate copyright holder
saying,  basically, that the ACGA is an organization which promotes community
gardening in the USA - some verbiage about membership and non profit nature
of the the organization and research, etc. That we believe item X to be
would be an interesing and valuable addition to our web library and would
like to  add your material,/excerpts of/photograpic image/etc to our
informational database, for purposes of research., etc .  Include a
permissions form, SASE envelope and cross your fingers.

g) If the material is public domain (government documents in the public
domain or released by a Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") request note this
on the log.

h) Give a written receipt and a heartfelt "thank you"  to donator/lender for
materials. This person has schlepped this stuff to your desk and is doing all
of us a great favor.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,  <A HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton