Smoking / Burmuda Grass

  • Subject: [cg] Smoking / Burmuda Grass
  • From: Kcmobirdie@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:13:10 EDT

Dear gardeners,

The Manheim Park community garden is working with 2 issues, and is interested in your experiences:

1) Our garden has a severe burmuda grass invasion due to a previous history of 8 - 10 years of the site being abandoned.  We have tried to cover from fall to spring, and have found it made no real difference in summer growth.  The raised beds are invaded to the point of being unfarmable in some cases.  We are trying to remain organic.

2) This year the issue of smoking has arisen.  A very strong willed gardener wants the garden to be smoke-free, not only because of not wanting to be exposed to second-hand smoke, but also because she believes it is contrary to have a space that promotes health with one that allows smoking.  I am bringing it to the group for a group decision, and am interested in how other gardens handled this issue.  I am concerned about losing fledging gardeners if we go completely non-smoking, and believe we can easily work out a regime for noone to be exposed to second hand smoke.