number of cg's in US

Just some other insights.....

If the number would be 5,000 - 8,000 cg's nationally, that estimates 100 - 160 per state. As for Ohio, I would guess there are over 300 community gardens in the state - and that's probably a low estimate. Granted, some states may have a very low number of cgs, but still, the number may in fact be much higher than 5 - 8,000.

Incidentally, there are a number of cg's in Cleveland dating back to the Victory Garden days and perhaps as early as the 20's though we don't have a lot of clear evidence on that. I'm sure this historic value (without all the facts to demonstrate it) is probably the case for a good number of community gardens. If I had more time and some staff or volunteers, it'd be great to do the research and have these dedicated as national historic cultural landscapes or something of that nature..... Has anyone done that?

Lynn Gregor
OSU Extension Community Gardening
Cleveland