Re: RE: Misplaced Plants in the Garden, Round-Up story

  • Subject: Re: [cg] RE: Misplaced Plants in the Garden, Round-Up story
  • From: Tamsin Salehian tamsin@sparecreative.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:35:51 +1000

Great discussion on weeds!!

We have sheet mulched with really thick pads of newspaper (about half an
inch) which overlap. On working bees we fill the wheelbarrow with water and
have cardboard boxes of newspapers  posted along the area to be mulched
(these could be stacked in another wheelbarrow but we only have one). We
dunk the newspapers in the wheelbarrow and fill the areas to be mulched
over-lapping. We cover the newspaper with either dirt and straw for planting
beds or free woodchip much from local tree surgeons for paths. As everything
is mulched with something or other our only weed problem seems to be the
thick grass which makes its way up in spots even with all the much which was
a legacy of the garden to begin with but it is so much weaker now - its
roots have worked hard to get through the mulch and when they are pulled out
they don't grow back, a year from starting the garden. The problem I could
see with doing this on a large row style garden could be a possibility of
water logging.

Just to let everyone know what our little garden does.

I don't mind weeds (my plot has a mix of growing lives, maybe finding out if
they have any uses would change them from being weeds - herbal
remedies/nitrogen fixing/edible leaves/showing the soil nutrient

Enjoying reading everyone's feedback!