RE: Stealing from gardens...

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Stealing from gardens...
  • From: "Bill Dawson" <bdawson@fpconservatory.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:34:11 -0400

A story from a public park demonstration garden......
I finally got brave enough to move a donated playhouse out to my
demonstration garden, which is in the middle of an 88-acre public park. The
day after it was moved to the garden near the vegetable gardens and compost
demonstration area, I found all the windows were broken out! That day I
replaced the windows with lexan, (it has proven to be unbreakable to this
day) and the next day one of our community gardeners and his dog caught the
same young boys throwing green tomatoes at the playhouse. Our security
personnel called the boy's parents and guardians to pick them up and to meet
with me. After talking to the boys, and getting them to admit they were
involved in the glass breaking, I proceeded to ask the guardians if I could
have the boys' everyday after school for I week to work in the garden.
Absolutely, was their reply. Not only did the three boys show up that next
day, but also a fourth that got away. Well, we started out cleaning up the
remaining glass that was mixed into the gravel surrounding the playhouse.
The second day was spent cleaning tomato gunk off the siding. The third
afternoon was a lesson on planting radishes. The rest of the week was spent
weeding the gardens and watering the seeds.

You know they showed up the following Monday to find out if their radishes
had sprouted!
I overheard one of the boys say to another "If anyone comes in to our garden
and messes with our stuff........"

They have only been back to help me harvest.
Bill

Bill Dawson
Growing to Green Program Coordinator
Franklin Park Conservatory