community gardens- dealing with liability issues

  • Subject: [cg] community gardens- dealing with liability issues
  • From: Molly MacDonald mollydmacdonald@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:16:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone

I am part of an organization that links groups that
want to start a community garden with community
partners who have land to offer. We're a brand new
group and are still learning the ins and outs of
community gardening. We've recently linked an
anti-poverty advocacy group with a local museum that
has land in their courtyard. The land has been tilled
and plots prepared, but the museum has now said that
planting cannot take place unless the gardeners come
up with insurance. Since all of them are on welfare or
disability this is hardly a fair request. I was just
wondering what other people's experience has been with
this sort of issue. Is there a precedent for lawsuits
in community gardens? Does anyone have any suggestions
as to how to quell the museum's fears, navigate this
situation etc? Thank you.
http://mail.yahoo.com