[cg] Re: sharing with food banks

I don't know if this information will help, but...
I work with the Detroit Agriculture Network and one way that we are doing
this might be too complicated if the food banks aren't near any of the
gardens.  We had some funding for food banks to buy produce from the gardens,
so we have created a D.A.N. dollar.  These are given to the food banks to
distribute, along with maps to the closest gardens (we tried to pair food
banks with gardens that were within walking distance).  The idea is that the
person will then be able to buy what they want from the gardeners, and,
hopefully, they will be able to get any of their questions answered by the
person who grew the produce.  (This kind of a system also eliminates the dirt
question, since they see how it is grown).  Its our first year with this
system, and we haven't heard too many stories yet, so I am not sure what
problems we may have from it.

I hope this answer helps.

Gretchen Kraas
Detroit Agriculture Network