[cg] SW Low Desert Gardening and Landscaping Conference

Did you know there is a conference in the Valley that will help you "grow
your knowledge" on gardening and landscaping in the low desert?

The Master Gardener Volunteers from the University of Arizona Maricopa
County Cooperative Extension invite you to join us for the "international
award winning" 9th Annual Southwestern Low Desert Gardening and Landscaping
Conference - "Growing through Knowledge" July 30-31, 1999 at the Camelback
Inn Resort & Spa

Whether you're a Master Gardener, teacher, gardening professional, or a
homeowner struggling to make things grow in our climate or want to expand
your horizons, this 9th annual conference will give you the information you
need to grow!   It's not too late to register!  You won't want to miss this
one-of-a-kind conference that  combines the network of experts, information
and contacts you'll need to be a successful low desert gardener.   Join the
400 attendees who will be meeting at the Camelback Inn Resort  to "grow"
their gardening knowledge.

Over 40 Sessions and Workshops organized into 6 different tracks offers a
wide variety of topics and learning levels.

Keynote Presentations by:
Michael Ableman - "Beyond Gardening:  Cultivating a Revolution
Jim Wheat - "History of AZ Landscapes - 100 Years Re-landscaping the Valley
Ron Romatzke - "Allow Your Trees to Become Great"
Richard Doria - "Landscape Conversions:  The Complete Garden"

A Sample of Sessions include:
The Ins and Outs of Greenhouses - Cindy Odgers
Attracting Birds to Small Yards - Carolyn Engle Wilson
The Healing Power of Desert Flowers - Cynthia Athina Kemp Scherer
Plants for Climate Control - Thom Hulen
Irrigation from the Ground Up - Sam Hackwell
Composting:  Magic for the Garden - Annette Weaver
Low Maintenance Landscapes - Judy Mielke
Using Agaves, Yuccas & Hesperaoles in the Landscape - Diane Baker
Ponds from the Top Down - Bruce Evans
Growing Culinary Herbs in the Sonoran Desert - Carole Palmer

Tired of Sitting the Classroom?  Take Advantage of our Fun Hands-On Workshops:
The Portable Garden: A Guide to Growing Plants in Containers in the SW
by Cheryl Czaplicki, Master Gardener
More Birdhouses:  Adding Art to Your Garden by Karen Tsutusmida, Master
Gardener

*******Attention Certified Arborists and Certified Tree Workers*******
The International Society of Arboriculture has approved 4.0 Continuing
Education Credit hours for the Home Garden Tree Care Topics Track.  The
Tree Track is offered on Friday 7/30. Sign up for Friday only or the whole
conference and "earn while you learn".  Scheduled sessions include:
Tree Care I:  Palms in the Landscape - Richard Harris, ASU Arboretum
Tree Care II: Proper Pruning of Home Landscape Trees - Steve Priebe, City
of Phoenix
Tree Care III: Solving Tree Problems - Terry Mikel - UofA Maricopa County
Extension
Tree Care IV: Successfully Growing Backyard Citrus - Dr. Michael Mauer,
UofA Coop. Ext.

******Attention Educators, Teachers and Youth Gardeners************
The Teacher and Youth Gardening Track will give you the specialized
information to help you start a garden at school or expand your existing
program.  Teacher Track sessions include:
How to Do it in Spite of Resistance - Bob Meko, Mendoza Elementary School
Germination:  Bringing Seeds to Life - George Hull, Mesa Community College
Bulbs, What I know about What I Grow - Dixie Humphryes - Master Gardener
Orchids in the Classroom: Even Children Can Grow Them - Wilella Stimmell,
Orchid Society
Developing Interpretive Trails for Schools - Ruth Copeman, Desert Botanical
Garden
Educational Oppor. through Tree Programs in AZ-Ron Romatzke, AZ State Land
Dept.
Growing Native Plants for Food, Fiber,&  Dye - Ruth Greenhouse, Desert
Botanical Garden
Hummingbird Gardens in the Desert - Sylvia Yoder, Author

There is much more!  Check out the conference website:
http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/calendar/lowdsrt.htm

HERE'S HOW YOU CAN JOIN US....

1. Select a Fee Option
Two Day Conference Fee:
Certified Master Gardeners - $105.00
All Others	                - $125.00
                 OR
One Day Conference Fee
Master Gardeners or Others-$ 65.00 (Friday 7/30 or Saturday 7/31)
               AND
Additional Sessions: (guests welcome)
Dessert Reception: $15.00 per person
Golf Tournament:    $40.00 per person
Container Workshop (limited registration) - $15.00 per person
More Birdhouses Workshop (limited registration) - $15.00 per person

2.  Register by:
A.  Downloading a registration form off our website
B.  Call 470-1556 ext 1017 to request a registration packet be mailed or
faxed to you.
C.  Stop by the Maricopa County Cooperative Extension at 4341 E. Broadway
Road, Phoenix and pick up a form and packet.

3.  Mail Your Registration to:
Low Desert Conference, P.O. Box 51763, Phoenix, AZ  85076-1763

If you have any questions, leave us a message at 470-1556 ext. 1017 and
we'll call you back.  We hope to see you as we "Grow through Knowledge" at
the 9th Annual SW Low Desert Gardening & Landscaping Conference.

For more information see our website
<http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/calendar/lowdsrt.htm>