RE: Advice re: forming a 501(c)(3) organization?

Matthew:

Creating  a 501(c)(3) corporation is something any competent attorney can do
for you. The Clinton Community Garden in NYC (
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org )was required to incorporate as a 501
(c) (3) as part of it's lease agreement with the City of NYC as well as to
purchase a a garden insurance policy. The Trust for Public Land (
http://www.igc.apc.org/tpl/ ) can give you ideas on process and connect you
with the Land Trust servicing your area.

TPL contacts for you in Washington DC are:
Federal Affairs Department
             Green Cities Initiative
             National Programs
             666 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E., Suite 401
             Washington, D.C. 20003
             (202) 543-7552
             FAX (202) 544-4723
             Federal Affairs: jumionne.jean-charles@tpl.org
             Green Cities: joyce.williams@tpl.org

The TPL should be able to direct you to a decent attorney who can do your
non-profit corporation organization on either a reduced cost or pro-bono
basis.

Just in case you are not alread involved with Garden Resources of Washington
("GROW"):
GETTING A COMMUNITY GARDEN PLOT IN WASHINGTON -- Each
community garden operates independently.  Contact them
directly to find out if there are plots available now
or to get on a waiting list.  Be aware that most
community gardens charge annual dues and require
members to follow a few simple rules regarding growing
and maintenance of the garden.  Be sure to let us know
if you find any of the contact information to be
incorrect, so we can make changes to this list.  And
if you don't find a garden plot, consider starting
a new garden on vacant land in your neighborhood or by
volunteering at a community facility garden not on
this list.  Let us know if we can help you start a new
garden or become a volunteer.  Good luck and Enjoy!
Garden Resources of Washington, 1419 V Street NW,
Washington, DC 20009, telephone (202) 234-0591, fax
(202) 234-0592, e-mail GROW19@aol.com

WARD ONE
Tivoli Garden, Monroe & Holmead Sts NW (Tim Glymph,
234-6405)
Community Park West Garden, Adams Mill Rd & Ontario Pl
NW (Victor Zebina, 234-1910)
Gethsemane Garden, 1425 Euclid St NW (Pete Schenck,
387-6678, 518-5859)
Kalorama Garden, 19th & Columbia NW (stop by garden to
see if plots are available; coordinator doesn't take
phone calls)

WARD TWO
Independence Garden, 6th St & Independence Ave SW (Ken
LePoer, 547-3938)
Waterside Garden, 6th & M Sts SW (Camille Cook,
554-3728)
Temple Garden, 15th &S Sts NW (John Wood Sweet,
319-9045)
West End Garden, 25th & N Sts NW (coordinator unknown,
ask at the garden)

WARD THREE
Friendship Garden, 45th & Van Ness Sts NW (Ruth Joyce,
363-5070)
Newark Garden, 39th & Newark Sts NW (visit garden
bulletin board to get application in early February)
Whitehaven Garden, 40th & W Sts NW (Peter Grinnell,
hm337-7026, w512-9530)
Glover Archibold Garden, 42nd St & New Mexico Ave NW
(Mary C. Sabatos, 625-1629)
Fort Reno Garden, Belt Rd & Chesapeake St NW (Martha
Hamilton, hm362-1434, w334-6166)
Melvin Hazen Garden, Sedgewick St & Connecticut Ave NW
(Armand Line, 244-1384)
Rock Creek Garden, Old Bingham Rd off Oregon Ave NW
(Fritz Gibbons, hm363-2767, w973-2708)
28th St & Cathedral NW (Cathy Reuter, 463-5446)
Good luck,
Please tell us how this worked out!

Adam Honigman
Clinton Commuity Garden