RE: Tobacco - Container Gardening/An Irrelevant Historical Tangent/Moss Transplantation Question

Adam wrote:

>For those of you who did not recognize the reference to MOVE ( only the
>elderly would , I'm afraid ) in my Tobacco epistle [...]

Gee, thanks, Adam -- as if turning 38 recently didn't make me feel old
enough -- I was actually attending grad school at Drexel during the MOVE
incident and could see the neighborhood go up in flames from the balcony of
my apartment building.  Not a pleasant site, or one easily forgotten.

>MOVE is a Pennsylvania radical group that experienced an un-lovely police
>assault on May 13, 1985 which included a bomb dropping helicopter. This
>bombing caused the affected building to burn as well as a portion of the low
>income area in which the MOVE headquarters was located. This practice is
>sometimes referred to as "Urban Renewal by Air-Strike." I do not know if
>community gardens were later built on this site.

No community gardens, but in typical Philadelphia fashion, the developer who
was hired to rebuild the houses was a political croney and walked off with
about a 1/3 of the money remaining in his own pocket.  Last I heard, the
houses were falling apart due to shoddy construction.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of