RE: Boulevard Community Garden Factoids.

Fred:

 22 years ago the CCG was not a garden spot.
When the CCG was started in 1978, the doorway vestibules on W.48th St. were
used by "ladies of the night" of both sexes for their assignations, "Could
you please move, I gotta get my mail, y'know!" The Capeman murders were
perpetrated two blocks away on 46th and the famous Croatian terrorists who
blew up the airplane ran and operated a gas station a half block away on
10th avenue. We were a block away from the most lurid section of Times
Square peep shows and, there were several certified brothels on the block
operating  under the protection of  rogue cops.
We had a lovely gang called the Westies who had a way with undertaking( I
won't share the details, I just had breakfast.) The treepits were convenient
dog restrooms. When we started work on  the CCG in 1978, we walked in on a
dead junkie and two rusted cars. The cops and the medical examiner took the
dead junkie ( evidently the perps were too lazy to throw him into the nearby
railway cut).  . We had implored the  NYC Dept. of Sanitation to remove
these vehicles before we got our first NYC Parks dept soil amendment. The
Sanitation Dept Captain looked at us in sheer disbelief and asked us to
leave his river view office. It finally took $20 bucks and a bottle of Night
Train to encourage a local private tow employee to drag these cars out into
the street. The Sanitation dept Capt. was astonished and truly perturbed to
have these cars blocking the street on Broadway matinee day. The cars
vanished. We received our first soil amendment. We are still digging up
bullets and debris left over from the tenements that had originally occupied
the site.
We did put up a fence Fred. Maybe it helped a little.

Best wishes,
Adam