quack grass

Giving into the time constraint of  preparing the garden plots for planting this spring, I roto-tilled.  More & more I am regretting that decision as this process ignited the growth of quack grass & Canadian thistle.......UGH!  Other than digging them up & cooking them on the asphalt before tossing into the compost, does anybody know of an alternative organic method in which to eliminate them?  I noticed in the Q&A section of Organic Gardening Magazine (July/August 2000) eliminating Canadian thistle was addressed by Cheryl Long.  According to her, these 'botanical cockroaches" can have a root system that grows 19 feet horizontally & 22 feet deep!

Peace Be With You,
Cyndy Ross, Chairperson
Fellowship, SLLC Organic Community Garden, Memorial Garden, & 'Welcoming Wagon' cmte's
Sylvan Lake Lutheran Church
2399 Figa Avenue
W. Bloomfield, MI 48324-1808

Zone 6A