Re: late into the garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] late into the garden
  • From: Don Lambert <grower@flash.net>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:57:26 -0500

Harmon,

Can you tell us where you are located?  In our program in Dallas, we
must have plots utilized year around, or we loose soil quality, have
weed invasions, and other problems that would make the garden
unsustainable.  For us, year round use is so closely related to soil
type, rainfall, winter temps., type of perennial weeds, and so on, that
there are people that garden all year, and then there are people without
gardens.

The kind of gardeners, and their cultural and traditional orientation to
gardening, importance in their everyday life, is most important.  With
regular suburban (Americanized) gardeners who want to garden only in the
mild spring season, we simply loose soil structure and have unsolvable
weed problems during the summer and winter. Winter tilling and
preparation for a spring opening each year will not work because heavy
clay and wet years delay starting the garden until early summer.

With Southeast Asian folks, who are eager to garden year around, will
aggressively and efficiently use space so that weeds can not grow in any
season, and will adapt their gardening techniques to garden in all
seasons (if we let them, and maybe provide some technical support such
as cold frame and greenhouse ideas, support) it would be nuts to kick
them out of the garden for a few months each year.

Maybe you could negotiate to have half the garden plots left to the
gardeners to continue working as an experiment, so everyone can see that
your Hmong gardeners really know what they are doing.

Don Lambert
Gardeners in Community Development