Re: late into the garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] late into the garden
  • From: "Dr. H. Michael Simmons" <simmonsm@bloomington.in.us>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:56:42 -0500 (EST)

Harmon,

     I can sympathize with your impatience to get into the garden, but
there may be something to your garden administrator's reluctance to plow
or allow tilling of any kind if the soil is too wet.  You mentioned heavy
clay soil.  If tilled or spaded when wet, the soil structure suffers and
will not recover acceptable tilth until it has gone through a number of
freeze-thaw cycles.  In addition, walking or driving a tractor on wet clay
will compact the
soil.  Unfortunately, if a winter cover such as rye is planted (the only
winter cover with reliable germination when we have to plant here in
Indiana), a spring tilling is usually required.  We are looking at a
phased elimination of spring tilling with the use of mulching rather than
a winter cover for some of our community gardens.  Good luck with
communicating the need for options for community gardeners.  Sensitivity
to the needs of the people doing the gardening is certainly essential to a
successful program.

H. Michael Simmons
Community Gardening Program
Bloomington Parks and Recreation