Garden Vandalism

  • Subject: [cg] Garden Vandalism
  • From: "Scott Keller" <skeller@ci.beaverton.or.us>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:30:39 -0700

Hello Community Gardeners...

My office oversees two community gardens in the City of Beaverton, Oregon (one with 15 plots and one with 77 plots).  We recently joined this list-serve and find much of the information helpful and informative.

Sometime after 9 PM on Friday and before 6 AM on Saturday vandals (we're calling them "Extremist Advocates of Hydroponic Gardening") turned on 18 of the 22 water faucets at the larger of our two gardens.

When it was discovered Saturday morning, about one-third of the garden was under 1 to 6 inches of water.

This is my third garden season -- and although we've had vegetable theft in the past, we've never had anything like this before.

Short of fencing the entire garden (which is both expensive and difficult considering the topograhy of the area around half of this particular garden) has anyone every had similar vandalism or any suggestions for prevention in the future?

I spoke with several of our gardeners on Saturday and today and they are generally taking it philosophically, but we'd like to avoid a repeat occurance in the future.

Thanks!
Happy Growing.

SCOTT KELLER
Auxiliary Services Program Manager