Re: late into the garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] late into the garden
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:52:49 -0400

Harmon--

These are GARDENS, for goodness sake--isn't the need to plow a bit of
an artifact? Here in Philadelphia we have more than 1000 community
gardens, and each one decides for itself when to open and when to
close. And to my knowledge NONE of them get plowed, EVER.  In my own
community garden, we allow returning gardeners in whenever they
choose, and in fact require them to have planted by May 1 (Last frost
here is around May 1, first frost around Halloween).

With the kids' garden, however, we don't let them in until May,
because we need to get the infrastructure (fencing, paths, any
structures, and common areas) in order before we're ready for them. I
suspect that this "being ready", especially with the plowing, is the
case in your situation as well, not animosity. It does show a bit on
condescension on their parts, though.

I suggest that you remind whoever is administering the garden that it
would save a hell of a lot of money if they stopped plowing
altogether. This would take things out of the dictates of soil
structure, and put them in the hands of the gardeners. Of course this
can cause other problems, as plowing has a way of clearing up Karmic
debt buildup, (which happens when the same gardener has the same plot
for several years running, so that perennials can get sizeable, and
shrubs can take hold.)

Do what Adam says, especially with the hand-written letters. But
first get your wife to try to find out if there are political reasons
other than soil structure that keep the gardens closed.

Sally McCabe

PS   Judy Tiger, if you're out there, this used to be an issue in DC
in gardens on federal land. Was it ever resolved, and if so, whatever
happened?