Re: Re: Fruit Tree Questions

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Fruit Tree Questions
  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@cybershamanix.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 07:35:26 -0500

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 03:35:02PM -0700, Connie Nelson wrote:
> Raised beds should be aligned north-south with taller stuff planted at the
> north end to take advantage of the day's sun.
> Of course, gardeners tend to be a radical lot, and I will admit I planted
> "all" of my home beds east-west.  'Course that was before I was ah,
> enlightened by a local Master Gardener.  Sigh...

   We've done it both ways, but currently the beds are east-west, but only 4x12,
and the taller plants like corn, pole beans, and sunflowers are in the northern
most beds. I'm also experimenting this year with "Three Sisters" plantings with
small mounds a foot high and 20" across at the top.

Harmon Seaver