Re: locating dog park near community garden

  • Subject: Re: [cg] locating dog park near community garden
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:53:19 EDT

I know from dog parks because there is a good sized one in Dewit Clinton Park near some of the viewing gardens there.  Dewitt Clinton Historical Sign

Please note I said, viewing gardens as there is NO food growing in that park anymore.

My advice would be to site the dog park/run a good 25 - 30 feet away from the community garden area, which should also be fenced to keep running dogs from escaping into the garden, tearing stuff up, urinating and leaving turds.

Also, the concentrated smell of dog pee, etc, as it gets concentrated in a dog run can be awfully unpleasant if one is down-wind of it on a hot summer's day.  And of course work has to be done to help the two groups - gardeners and dog owners, to be able to mutually co-exist in a public park with the least amount of friction.

Adam Honigman,
Clinton Community Garden
and dog Dad to Butch, Dutchess and Oliver.

Subj: [cg] locating dog park near community garden
Date: 6/3/04 10:18:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From: Grow19@aol.com
Sent from the Internet

Hi friends,
A community group is just starting to discuss location of a dog park adjacent to a commuity garden in a public park.  Among their issues is what public health / environmental concerns that they should be aware of in siting the dog run (which, yes, would be fenced off separately).  Any input?  Any other list serve that I should ask which would be particularly knowledgeable about this?
Judy Tiger, Washington, DC