Woodchip mulch for paths

  • Subject: [cg] Woodchip mulch for paths
  • From: "Sally McCabe" SMcCabe@pennhort.org
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:30:23 -0400

We use woodchips here in Philly for the same reason.  Many gardeners put
down carpet scraps to keep weeds from coming up, then cover them with
chips. Over time (usually a few months) the chips break down, so spring
and fall we shovel them up into the beds to supplement the soil, then
spread more chips.

Even if powers-that-be insist on plowing/tilling, chips spread out in
the fall will have broken down enough and shouldn't be a problem to
spring plowing. Just put cardboard or newspaper down as a base instead
of the carpeting.

Sally McCabe