Site Acceptances within conservative city zone culture

Hi.  I am interested in finding a site for an organic community garden.
My town zoing ordinances are very conservative - no greenhouses on a
vacant lot, no retaining structure over 12" high, no selling of items
grown, etc. Others have tried to work with City Hall but so far - no
sucess.  I think that our town desparately needs the social interaction
and therapeutic value of gardening and learning afforded by community
gardening.  We have several spaces in town that would work.  Several
corporations have spaces but working with the zoning restrictions seems
insurmountable. Have any of you faced this challenge?   I would like
some suggestions to achieve my goal of greening up my town. JW