Re: Pesticides

1) I'm sending copies of several sets of rules and regs we've collected
over the years as examples, but not to the whole list serve. Anyone else
who wants can also request them.

2) Here are some suggestions about using pesticides:
a. don't use them at all--most garden plots are small enough for hand picking.
b. use them only when you can cover affected plants with row cover for a
few days to keep dust from drifting.
c. use only those chemicals approved by other gardeners (wanna start a good
fight that can last for YEARS???!!)
d. education is key. It's usually enough to send out alerts when you know
something is about to hit--like when you see the first potato or bean
beetles, so thatpeople can hand-pick before they get too plentiful.  The
local extension services usually have flyers on what'll be bugging you
next, and when it's most vulnerable. Ask for their info on IPM--Integrated
Pest Management. If they don't have any, ask them why not!

Each year we lime-sulfur our grapes, but this happens usually before anyone
is working their plots, so no one notices. If anyone else uses anything,
they're subtle enough to not make it obvious to the rest of the gardeners.
Harlequin bugs on collards will probably break me, though, after 25 years
without pesticides in my garden.