Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #287 - 11 msgs

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:00:11 -0600 Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com writes:

> From clinical gerontology, social, practical real-life standpoints
> what are
> the measurable benefits of gardens within a senior housing setting?
> Understand, that the community gardeners would be doing the work but
> would
> be working with the senior center to make this happen. The garden
> would cost
> the senior center nothing.

I suggest you might contact the American Horticultural Therapy
Association (AHTA), because this is exactly the kind of thing they are
working to quantify so that horticultural therapy can be
supported/reimbursed by insurance companies. Their website is at
The New York Botanical Gardens has an HT certificate, and the teaching
staff are licensed, practicing horticultural therapists. Most of them
have experience with senior populations and might be a good source of
data or information to back your proposal. The HT certificate program
coordinator is Carolyn West. The number for the continuing education
dept. of the NYBG is 718-817-8747.
Hope this helps!

Jennifer Barricklow
North Haven CT