Re: campus gardens

on 23/03/2000 2:40 PM, Honigman, Adam at Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com wrote:

> David:
>
> You should check out the University of Wisconsin Eagle Heights Garden
> website: http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden ; the American Commmunity
> Gardening Association  website: http://www.communitygarden.org/index.html ;
> the Trust for Public Land website: http://igc.apc.org/tpl and the archives
> of this webserv : http://www.community_garden@mallorn.com .
>
> I admire your energy. However, providing food for campus dining halls in any
> sort of quantity is a large task requiring many strong backs, much
> organization, and a kind of dedication that is hard to muster. There is one
> large institutional  organic farm that produces all of the food it needs on
> campus, however the organizational pyramid that runs it might not be
> appreciated by your fellow students. The establishment I'm referring to is,
> of course, Louisiana's Angola prison farm.
>
> However, good luck with your project.
>
> Adam

On a smaller scale you might look at Alice Waters/Chez Panisse project The
Edible Schoolyard at the Martin Luther King Middle School in Berkeley CA
edible@lmi.net. The project involves growing organic vegetables for the
school cafeteria, involving students in organic sustainable agriculture.
www.chezpanisse.com

Chris Hibbard