re: adam's "thousand points of light" comment

adam, lynn, et al,

i bought david hassler and lynn gregor and don snyder's "a place to grow:
voices and images of urban gardeners"-- it is beautiful and inspiring,
just as i expected.  it leaves me longing for an even larger compendium,
and like you, adam, i've been thinking for some time about the best way to
share it all... the acga site has the "locate a garden" database coming
soon-- do you think that will serve as, at least, a starting point for
such a thing?  there are obviously many, many great community gardens and
orgs on the web, but hundreds and hundreds more that are not-- how can
they best be represented/represent themselves?  should such a compendium
be printed? web-based?  i feel overwhelmed (in a totally good way) with
the plethera of information out there about community gardens and am so
anxious to see more and more of them, learn more about them, photograph
them, help document them... if anyone has several thousands of dollars
lying around that they want to put to good use, i'm more than happy to be
sponsored to travel the country for several months-- or hey, several
years-- to visit, to meet, to interview, to LISTEN, to gather, to document
community gardens (in their own words).... on a more realistic note, i'm
considering doing my thesis research on profiling community gardeners, and
possibly trying a large-scale survey (and some more detailed case studies)
on why community gardens both succeed and fail...

just some thoughts and dreams on a saturday morning in michigan, trying to
hold out during these last several weeks until we can get our hands in
cold soil and get that spinach planted!

amanda edmonds

     We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi