Needlepoint Holly

I have a needlepoint holly that I would like to get a start of.  I'm not sure how to go about it.  I have heard everything from cutting off a stem, putting it in water and then it will root.  I've also heard the the branch must still be attached, cut the branch slightly and then with the branch still attached place the cut part in the ground and it will root.  I'm hoping you can help.  I love my holly and would like to have plants from it if possible.
Thank you,