RE: Plot at Floyd Bennett Field

Dear catread,

1) The Floyd Bennett Field Community Garden is in the Floyd Bennett Field
section of the Gateway National Park. Although I have not been there
personally, it is huge by NYC standards, occupying 5 acres with 600 beds. I
believe that they do some rather outstanding work with food banks and soup
kitchens, but I'm not exactly sure of that.  The nice lady at the Gateway
Environmental Study Center gave me this contact number for you:

Floyd Bennett Field Community Garden
Mr. Allan Douglas, coordinator - (718) 946-4845

2) NYC's Parks Dept Community Gardening Organization is run by American
Community Gardening Association Board Member, Edie Stone. Green Thumb
coordinates a large number of Brooklyn Community Gardens:

     Green Thumb
     49 Chambers Street Suite 1020
     New York, NY 10007
     (212) 788-8059

3) The Trust for Public Land is setting up a Brooklyn Land Trust for gardens
that it currently owns and can be a good source of Brooklyn community
gardening opportunities. Contact Paul Coppa or Andy Stone at (212) 677-7171.
They should be able to give you
some direction/

4) The New York Restoration Project is a newer but very interesting greening
organization/land trust in NYC which currently manages a number of "saved"
Write to to these folks or call them explaining your interest in community
gardening opportunities in Brooklyn:

Brian Sahd ( or anyone who is in the office)
New York Restoration Project
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
Tel: (212) 258-2333
Tel: (212) 258-2333

5) catread, you may want to also want to write or visit with the nice folks
at these Brooklyn  gardens as well:

          Jes Good Rewards Children1s Garden
          155 Amboy Street, Ocean
          This large garden is used by seven area
          schools and features a children1s camp
          in the summer and after school. The
          gardeners run a recycling program to
          educate area children and adults and
          have a compost project in the garden.
          Children using the garden have helped
          to construct a wildlife habitat that is
          recognized by the National Wildlife
          Federation. Garden President Jestine
          Roper helped to found the Ocean Hill
          Brownsville Garden Coalition in an
          effort to preserve neighborhood
          gardens. Community Board Sixteen
          supports the permanent preservation of
          Jes Good Rewards Children1s garden as
          a park.

          New Visions Garden
          590-598 Schenck Avenue, East New
          Neighbors moving into recently
          constructed single family homes on this
          once desolate block decided to
          transform an unsightly lot filled with
          construction debris and illegally
          dumped tires into a community park for
          the many neighborhood chldren. the
          garden now features a trellis, flower
          and vegetable plantings and a colorful
          mural. The Block Association also
          managed to have a mural painted on a
          wall across form the garden,
          transforming this once glomy corner
          into a cherrful spot for barbecues, block
          parties, and family events. the annual
          block party features horseback rides
          provided by the New York Black Rodeo

          Tapscott Union Street Block
          Association Garden
          2007 East New York Avenue, Ocean
          Hill, Brownsville
          The motto of the community group
          sponsoring the Tapscott Street garden
          is 3Better Neighborhood Through Better
          Blocks.2 Garden coordinator Alfreda
          Shem Yahudah embodies this spirit in
          her work with local youth. Ms. Shem
          Yahuda yearly sponsors several
          Summer Youth interns to work with her
          in the garden. Youngsters have helped
          to construct aq gazebo and manyt
          planting beds and produce vegetables
          and herbs for local seniors. This large
          site complements newly constructed
          housing on the rest of the block.

6) I'm not sure of the addresses of these community gardens, but I know that
they are active, hard working community gardens:

Circle of Hope Garden, Park Slope, Brooklyn
  Mermaid Garden, Coney Island, Brooklyn
  The Dug Out, Coney Island, Brooklyn
  Bears Garden, Brooklyn
  Childrens Garden of Eden, Coney Island, Brooklyn

7) This weekend, there is a splendid Brooklyn community garden networking
opportunity for you to take advantage of:

If you are in the NYC area on Saturday, March 17, join us for an all day
free event "Making Brooklyn Bloom...with Sustainable Gardening", 10 AM-4 PM
at Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Topics include workshops on Permaculture, Composting, Organic Gardening,
Wildlife in the Garden, School Gardens, Storytelling, Water Conservation,
Soil: Underground Ecosystem, Sustainability in Theory and Practice, Farmers
Market, etc.  Closing plenary in auditorium at 2:15 on Garden Design in Age
of Extinction (Janet Marinelli) and Great Native Plants(Jeffry Hewitt).

JOIN US!  For info, call 718-623-7250.

Ellen Kirby
Brooklyn GreenBridge
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Phone: 718.623-7251
Fax: 718.857.2430
Address:  1000 Washington Avenue
          Brooklyn, NY 11225
Web Site: www.BBG.org

8) Please consider joining the American Community Gardening Association  For
25 bucks a year you instantly become part of an international organization
(we have Canadians, Japanese and a coupla European members) of community
gardeners. Check out this link for all the goodies you can get as a member:
There are karmic benefits to joining the ACGA as well.
Happy gardening, please let us know how it works out for you

Adam Honigman