RE: Why I flowered for awhile. . .

Fred wrote:

>Congratulations on the blue ribbon!

Thanks to you and everyone else that sent nice messages! I *knew* my floral
designers were that talented, but they are still in signifcant shock! :-D

>We've been competing in the Southeastern Flower Show for four years running
>now.  It's fun and a great way to kick off the spring, we build a 400 square
>foot garden in the Education Division.  It's a lot of work, but the free
>publicity is unreal, we get write ups in magazines and newspapers as well as
>the opportunity to meet and greet thousands of individuals face to face.
>Additionally, we receive a $1200 stipend to offset costs, and get to compete
>head-on with garden and hort teams that are way out of our league.  i
>recommend it to all.

Stipend! Booo, hissssss, PHS doesn't give stipends to major exhibitors --
they are all expected to be rich garden centers that can re-coup the costs
in added sales! :-(

I'm forwarding your comments on to my gardeners so that they will be
inspired -- I'm letting the floral designers decide how far we take the
Flower Show as I have no artistic ability what-so-ever, but we will be doing
a Harvest Window (theme:  a modern apothecary) for the Harvest Show in
September.  No stipend, but it uses stuff we're growing anyway and I can at
least *grow* -- it's the "arranging it for visual effect" that has  me
stumped!  It's all supposed to be about "community" anyway, so might as well
rally the troupes around and get everyone to contribute their talents --
"all of us are smarter (or in this case, more artistic) than any one of us"!

Come see us on September 15 & 16th at the Philadelphia Harvest Show.
Meanwhile, think about entering your own local shows -- it really does help
promote the cause of community gardening. (And Adam owes you all some good
karma if you joined ACGA! ;-D)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of