RE: Community Gardening in Asheville NC?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community Gardening in Asheville NC?
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:57:37 -0500

James,

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Sometimes reports of the death of community
gardens or programs may be exaggerated."

Here is a link, somewhat old of MAGIC in Asheville, with a contact number.
If it is no longer active, check the phone directory to see if the contact
still lives in Asheville or around the area. Even if the program is defunct,
a few gardeners may be stubbornly keeping one of the gardens going without
support.

It's also a good thing to take a long walks through a different
neighborhoods on a regular basis ( be careful with your selections, though,
we don't want you getting mugged. Use common sense.)  :) You may be amazed
with what you see and may find an appropriate site to community garden in.

Also, sometimes, if you find an untended area near a church, school, park or
empty lot, near you, and you start small and pretty ( cleaning up the
garbage too) remarkable things  can happen. All it needs sometimes is for
someone to begin ( the work will also save you some gym fees.)

Great luck and please let us know how things work out for you,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer Clinton Community Garden
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Good luck