RE: Worms

  • Subject: RE:[cg] Worms
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:45:16 EST

Our goal is to recycle everything that goes out of the back end of the Food Bank.  Often the produce we receive is on its last leg and is beyond human consumption before it can be distributed.  By using the red wigglers (Eisenia Fetida) we hope to turn this into an asset, castings, and distribute the compost to the community gardens we support.  While these first bins are great and give me the wherewithal to distribute worms into the schools and cg's in the area, the next step for us is large flow-through bins that process 200 lb. or more a day (we average 200 lb. a day).

To this end we are constructing a 28x96 greenhouse this summer to house the worms and (hopefully) an organic aquaponics operation to raise fish, (tilapia), and plants for distribution.

Needless to say this is pretty exciting stuff for me.

Thanks to all of you that responded with your stories, tales, and encouragement.  I'll keep you informed as all this develops

John Herndon
Urban Harvest Coordinator
Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma