Re: Garden Paths & Irrigation

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Garden Paths & Irrigation
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:55:36 EST

Jim's suggestions are all very useful and valid. My only additions are:

 1) You should also look at the ACGA website for technical issues:  <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community Gardening
Association</A>  and in specific  <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html#seniors";>Gardening With
Seniors and the Disabled</A>  .  The Chicago Botanic Garden has an
extraordinary model "Enabled Garden" that I look forward to seeing again
during the ACGA convention:    <A
Botanic Garden - Horticultural Therapy at the Garden</A>  .

2) For gardens where folks will be coming and going to work, I would suggest
laying out some garden guidelines on how to safely work in the garden and
cover your operation's liablilty issues.  The devil always lies in the
details - it will be important to find out where the volunteer corporation's
insurance and  worker's compensation program ends and where your garden
insurance ends.  I'd suggest that you get some coverage fast, or have
discussions on how this program put under the corporation's liablity umbrella
once you have laid out your design and operating procedures.  Without getting
hot an heavy about this, when discussing this with your corporate liasons,
say, " We're really grateful for everything that you're doing with us on this
project.  But this just came in my mind, and you might want to run this by
your HR/benefits and legal people - who covers one of your employees if he
steps on a rake or puts out her back? Whatever we plan, we want to be covered
before the season starts."

3) Again, for garden rules and guidelines, you may want to go back to the
ACGA website    <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community
Gardening Association</A> and click on the links to garden programs and
individual gardens all over the country.  Many have posted policies that you
can use in creating your own. Here is a link to the garden where I volunteer
- please fee to copy anything you like from our guidelines -  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A>

5) For irrigation, I like a piped in water system with spiggots and hoses
placed at convenient distances from all beds. There would be a central turn
off for the water.

6) The tool shed should have places laid out for all tools - if you have
someone to paint the shapes of the tools for where they go (like Junior High
shop classes) even better.

7) A suggestion on using corporate volunteers from one who has had corporate
charitable initiatives dropped on his desk with a post it from the CEO that
say "Please make this happen.  Best wishes, Mr. Wielder of Thunderbolts."
Become best buds with your contact person and buy him or her lunch to talk
over details as the project gets closer to date.  It is most likely that the
effectiveness of the project and feedback from project participants to
corporate HR will be important career-wise to the participant.  And usually
they give  "making this happen" to very busy people.  Work hard on this

8. Plan a harvest festival and thank you party funded by your organization (
budget for it out of your basic grant.)

9) Also, it might be an impetus to your volunteers, especially those
employees ones may feel that getting their tickets punched by particpating in
our program will help them keep their jobs in the current economic climate -
please have a few beds set aside for volunteers to harvest some tomatoes,
herbs or whatever for home and even set up a cutting garden. This does two
things.  When a volunteer comes home with a small basket of garden grown
tomatoes, herbs or a bouquet of flowers, it creates interest and perhaps even
a love for what a community garden can do.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman