Re: Learning to love the delete key

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Learning to love the delete key
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:39:20 -0500

Yo Doreen,

I grew them years ago. The variety that I grew was more cold resistant than most. I got it from Johnny's, but they stoped carrying it.

Anyway, one needs to start them in warm soil (Have you seen any soil yet? I haven't.): I think mid May to early July, depending on what else you're growing. You could plant them after lettuce or spinach. However, one only gets one or two beans per pod; so you might just want to cook most of the ones you got. Great for hummus.

They are low-growing, have ferny leaves and pretty white flowers. I grew mine as an edging to one of my large beds at S/QV. I think I planted them about 1-2" apart and thinned them to about 4", but I don't really remember, and you know how I crowd stuff.

Has your snow melted off yet? I've still got places in the back yard with almost a foot left.