Odds and ends

  • Subject: [cg] Odds and ends
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:52:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi, everyone,

Beautiful weather in the Carolinas today, got some
lettuce transplanted (while praying for peace).

Mike McG writes:

> Hey--I'm mentioning the ACGA email list in a story
> on community gardens. One
> question: You don't have to be an ACGA member to use
> the list, do you?

Great news! Where is the story running? For me
personally,I wasn't an ACGA member when I first
subscribed to the list. In fact, the listserv
introduced me to ACGA, and it didn't take me long to
join. What an amazing bunch of people, doing a huge
amount of good in their communities while hugely
enjoying the 'gardening' part of community gardening.
(I've always enjoyed your writing and editing, Mike,
and am especially glad to read your contributions to
Greenprints, a fine little mag.)

Community garden workshop in North Carolina:

For others in NC, North Carolina A&T Cooperative
Extension is offering a workshop on starting community
gardens called 'Let It Grow', on Tuesday, April 8,
2003, in Asheboro, NC. It appears that the NY-based
program 'Garden Mosaics' is involved in the event. To
find out more info, call 336-334-7956. I'm going, and
I'm hopeful of meeting other folks in my region
working on community gardening and related issues.
Anybody know more about what Garden Mosaics is and
what they are all about?

General comment on demand for cgs:

This spring, I'm getting all kinds of requests for
help getting community gardening from all kinds of
groups - churches, neighborhood improvement
associations, homeless programs, municipal parks... It
seems to me there is an upsurge in interest in
community gardening this year. Are other places
experiencing anything similar?

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC