Rainwater collectors.

  • Subject: [cg] Rainwater collectors.
  • From: "Sean C. Gambrel" scg@ceimaine.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:08:11 -0500

Hi all.

This is my first post to the list (though I've been watching awhile).  I'm
starting a community garden here in Bath, Maine...  We don't have access to
water, so we'll need to construct ourselves a rainwater collection system.
I have a couple of questions regarding the design of such a structure.

1) What is the diameter of a typical 30 or 50 gallon barrel?  I'll need to
know this so I can design a stand for the tanks.

2) Related to that, what kind of structure do you put the barrels atop (so
that spigots can be placed at the bottom and you can still get a good-sized
bucket underneath)?  I'm assuming it will have to be relatively sturdy,
since two full 50-gallon drums would weigh around 800lbs.  Would a lumber
frame & truss work?

3) What do you use to cover the barrels?  We'll need at very least a
mosquito-proof screen, but are thinking we might need a more substantial
grate to keep cats, children, etc. from climbing atop and falling through.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all your advisement!

Sean Gambrel
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer

Coastal Enterprises, Inc.
P.O. Box 268
Wiscasset, ME  04578
(207) 882-7552 ext. 185

CEI's mission is to help people and communities,
especially those with low incomes, reach an adequate
and equitable standard of living, working and learning,
in harmony with the natural environment.