Re: Rainwater collectors.

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Rainwater collectors.
  • From: David Smead smead@amplepower.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:27:27 -0800 (PST)

Sean,

Using the weight of water at 8 pounds per gallon to make the math easy, 50
gallons of water will weigh 400 pounds, so make sure you can support that.

One way to make a stand is to lay out a square of stacked 2X4s, where the
square is about the diameter of a barrel, (about 30 inches).  You don't
want the 2X4s to slip, so you can glue them together, screw them together,
or interlock them by routing cross slots.

Rot is also an issue over the long term.  I made such a barrel stand using
surplus crating wood that was slightly interloked by using a power plane
to make the slots.  Then I epoxyed up the frame and pulled the corner
tight with baling wire until the epoxy cured.  Finally the frame was
painted to prevent UV from damaging the epoxy.  Sealed in such a fashion,
the frame may last for 30 years.

Good luck on your project.

--
Sincerely,