water barrels

  • Subject: [cg] water barrels
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:21:46 -0500

You can find white 30 - 40 gallon barrels (food grade) that do not take the
freezing and thawing more than two winters.  Black barrels (from pickles)
can be 50 - 60 gallons. They are heavier and you can leave water in them.
There are food grade blue ones that look like metal 55 gallon ones that are
used for soy liquids.  Some small blue barrels are about 20 -25 gallons and
were used for vitamins.  These all were obtained from Amish surplus stores.

I saw some set on cinder blocks with a spigot for hose connections.  You can
purchase the mosquito donuts and break them into about 6 pieces for the 55
gallon size water barrels.  We bought the Th bacillus or whatever from a
Lowes garden center.  We put an entire donut in each barrel, then read the
directions... it was overkill...

All of the barrels we bought had lids so we did not have to worry about
kids, etc. climbing inside though during the drought the birds did find a
way to push open the lids if they were loose.  The poor things can not get
out so screens with a hole just large enough for the downspout is a good
idea.  Make sure that the lids are clamped tight after filled.  You can
place a large flower pot on top of the barrels so that you can have a run
off connection from barrel to barrel without drilling holes in the top of
the barrels.  That way if the barrel is full the run off will be in the
large flower pots.

You could even use the water for cooking and drinking in an emergency if you
keep iodine from military emergency rations on hand and/or unperfumed
bleach.  I think that the bleach should be one teaspoon per gallon but check
on that.

Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.