On Building Community in Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] On Building Community in Community Gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:46:50 EST

Talking about building community...again.

After 9/11, the Clinton Community Garden sponsored a fundraiser for the
families of the firemen in our community who were lost from our local
firehouses.  We honored our local police and EMS, but thankfully, no police
of EMS from our neighborhood houses lost their lives on 9/11/  As a
follow-up,  we are committed to an annual September heroes  picnic for our
local fire, police and EMS,   and have given each of these groups keys to our
 garden, in case the families wanted to come by, or to eat lunch on a nice
day. (To read more about the event keyholders, please go to our website  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community Garden</A>
and click on "Fireman's Benefit")

Most of the time,  we just see the firemen  on their trucks, flags flying
behind them  like  clipperships.  NYC is short 650 firemen now:  over 400
died on 9/11, others are on disablilty or retired. Unfortunately,  due to
budget cuts, the city is not replacing them...and  may even close some
houses;  talk about being penny wise and pound foolish!

And everyone really loves these guys...

I just got this  note from Annie Chadwick, longtime CCG master gardener and
former CCG steering committee chair:

"FYI,  between clients,  went to the garden this afternoon around 2 PM.
Fire Engine 21  with approx. 8 firefighters was leaving as I walked up to the
garden.  I greeted them and said I hoped they enjoyed the garden.  The
firefighter told me that they had been to a fire and didn't cook at the
station so they bought lunch and ate in the garden. He said "someone came by
the station and left us a key.  This is our second time to eat lunch in the
garden and we really enjoy it."  Wow! a little thing like dropping a key by
goes a long way!  Seeds Sprouting!  It's Spring!"

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman,
Volunteer,  <A HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton
Community Garden</A>