Transplanting Roses

  • Subject: [cg] Transplanting Roses
  • From: Jeneva Storme jenevastorme@yahoo.ca
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:32:13 -0500 (EST)

Some of you may remember me asking for lilac
transplanting advice last year, well, now we're ready
to clear the site for our renovated garden, and there
are other shrubs that will need to go as well.  If we
can save them and keep them alive elsewhere, so much
the better, so any advice is welcome.  There is a
yellow rose, of a wild or old fashioned variety rather
than a hybrid tea, as far as I can tell.  It's
relatively compact and bushy with small fragrant
flowers.  If it could be divided at the root into
multiple plants, that would be great.  There are also
what I take to be acacias, based on their leaves and
flowers.  Does anyone know if they transplant well as
mature shrubs or offshoots thereof?  Also, if digging
up strawberries, herbs or Jerusalem artichokes with
the intention of replanting them later, what's the
best way to keep them alive for, say, from a couple of
weeks up to a month or two?  Or would it be best to
just find permanent new sites for them elsewhere and
maybe transplant back the next time they're divided?

We'll also be trying to save a couple of the healthier
trees for replanting elsewhere on the site, which will
be great, I never liked the idea of having to kill
them.  Some are in terrible shape and would not be
worth trying to save, but two have promise and would
provide shade and greenery while the new trees and
shrubs are growing up.

I'm so excited that we'll actually be beginning
construction this year, it's been a couple of years
dealing with the design and city-approval stages,
sometimes it seemed like it would never happen.  But
now we have a design for a very practical but
aesthetically appealing multifunctional green space --
community garden, wildlife food and habitat,
recreation and relaxation areas.  I can't wait to have
"before" and "after" photos to put up on our community

Shade and Sweet Water,
Jeneva the Greening Fairy

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca