RE: Who's Stepping Up To The Plate?

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Who's Stepping Up To The Plate?
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:27:28 -0500

We all wonder, buddy.
As it is, many/most Americans don't have values grounded in gardening, food, etc. so surely those who are "politicians," would not either.

During a Republican convention, I believe for G. Bush Sr, they had an African American senator boast how he "... a black man, got off the farm he grew up on to make it in this world, and isn't America great?" (It was a vulgar racial prop if you asked me). So the farm and being a farmer is something to reject and get away from. However, every politician in history was able to live thanks to farmers.

The saddest thing of all is we think "power" is about politics and money. A farmer strike would get heard real fast.

As you sit down to your next (and every) meal, I invite you to thank the land and the people that work it, for they allow you to live.

Paco Verin
Citywide Project Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 N. 20th St.
Philadelphia, PA  19103